Basmati rice : 500 gms
Mutton : 750 gms
Potato : 1 or 2 large, cut into two halves
Fresh curd : 200 gms.
Ginger paste : 2 tsp
Garlic paste : 2 tsp
Red chilly powder : 2tsp
Onion : 200gms, fineley chopped length wise
KK BIRIYANI MASALA : made with slightly roasted and coarsely ground cloves, cinnamon, cardamom - both the green and black variety, black peeper, shah jeera, white pepper, nutmeg (jayphol) and javitri (jayeetree)
Ghee : 4tbsp
White oil of any kind : 2tsp
Bayleaf : A few
Saffron (Keshar ) : 1/2 tsp added to 2tsp cold milk for colour and flavour
Rose water : 2tsp
Kewara water : 2tsp
Sugar : 2tsp
Salt to taste
- Marinate mutton in curd, KK biriyani masala, salt, sugar, ginger-garlic paste, chilly powder for two hours.
- Wash the basmati rice and marinate with 1 tsp ghee, 2 tsp of the KK Biriyani masala, salt and 1 tsp sugar for half an hour.
- Take water -- twice in volume to that of the rice taken -- and heat it in a pressure cooker.
- Add the marinated rice into the hot water, add the bay leaf and cook under pressure till the first "whistle" -- that is till the time when the steam escapes from the pressure valve for the first time !
- Take the rice from the cooker, spread it out on a shallow platter. Keep aside and allow to cool.
- Cook the mutton in a pressure cooker, only in the marinade -- without adding any additional water for 20 minutes.
- Boil the potato and then fry them in ghee and white oil together.
- Fry the chopped onion in the residual ghee-oil till golden brown and keep aside.
- Take a deep, wide pot that can be closed with a lid, grease it with ghee inside. In this pot, place the rice and mutton in alternate layers. Along with each layer add potatoes, fried onions, kewra, saffron, rose water and the rest of the KK biriyani masala
- Finally add the remaining ghee on the top
- Close the lid and seal it with maida dough.
- Preheat the OTG Oven till 200 C and then place the sealed pot inside the oven for about half an hour. Plan your time such that the KK biriyani can be served right after this step.
- Serve with raita.