- Urad dal : soaked in water overnight finely pasted in a mixer-grinder. Ensure that the paste is of the correct consistency to facilitate the making of the vadas.
- White oil : for deep frying the Vadas.
- Fresh Curd
- Tamarind paste and jaggery : for the chutney.
- Curry leaves, Mustard Seeds and Chopped Green Chillies : for Chaunk
- Black salt
- Chopped Green Chillies : for the batter
- Red chilly powder.
- Roasted cummin seeds : powdered
Keep the urad dal paste for at least 4 hours to allow fermentation. Add chopped green chillies and a little salt into it.
Beat the fresh curd with black salt and sugar.
Make the chutney by mixing tamarind paste, jaggery and a little salt.
Fry the vadas in oil till brown. Keep aside.
Arrange the Vadas in a large platter. Pour the beaten curd on top. Sprinkle red chilly powder and cummin powder on top. Finally heat 1 tsp oil and allow the curry leaves, mustard seeds and chopped green chillies to splatter. Pour the hot CHAUNK onto the DAHI-VADA mixture.
Serve as an evening snack with the tamarind-jaggery chutney.